Thursday, January 27, 2011

Adjusting to the time difference and taking a cab



Our first few days in India, I think I was high on all the newness of everything. The time change was difficult because the kids were waking up at 12:30am and then either going back to sleep around 6am or not at all. We were all tired to say the least. Del was already adjusted and he was trying to sleep as he had to work the next day, but with two wide awake boys, it was a little crazy. I think all of the warnings and bad things I read made me more paranoid than necessary. Driving and crossing the street in this town took a little getting used to. The first couple of times in the taxi, we all would just laugh because it was nothing less than insane compared to the driving we are used to. I mean, traffic lanes mean nothing. There is constant honking and the drivers stop in the middle of the intersection. They get 1 inch from each other. Don't really slow down for pedestrians, just honk while coming within an inch of the person crossing the street. Red lights sometimes matter sometimes don't. My favorite pass time is to stand in front of the chai wallah and just watch the street. Someone inevitably will walk a cow down the street, another person will come by carrying something on his head, very entertaining. So we figured out the taxi situation pretty quick after getting ripped off a couple of times. There are two types of taxis, older and newer. The older ones have these boxes on the outside that display a number then there is a rate card that translates it into a fare of which you have to ask for. My sister in law actually downloaded an app on my i phone that does the translation for you. The newer taxis have electronic meters inside that display the conversion and amount of rupees owed. So we get into an old cab and blindly trusted the driver to tell us how much we owed. He told us 120 rupees which we paid. The next cab tried to tell us 180, we had gone about half the distance so we knew something wasn't right. Del said that the last taxi had only cost us 100. He said, "ok, then 100".  I asked him for his rate card and Del noticed the whole meter was broken. Del laughed and gave him 40 rupees. The driver protested and Draven said, "take it or leave it". So the driver took it. After that, I started taking the newer taxis with the electronic meters. I figured out pretty quick that it costs 16 rupees a kilometer and one taxi I got in the driver had not reset his meter. I noticed because it was higher than 16 rupees. I quickly told him to do reset, and I try only to use the newer cars. Another time there was tremendous traffic, there always is but this time it was more than usual. We had an older driver who I could tell was slightly stressed. He kept saying to Del,"much traffic sir". We finally arrived at our hotel. The ride came out to around 60 rupees of which Del gave him a 100 and told him to keep the change. The driver immediately made the most wonderful chuckle. A 75 cent tip absolutely made his night!  Funny thing is, that with the first driver, "ripping us off", it amounted to an extra $1.00. So really it was like, who cares? Another time, we were entering a temple and there was a couple of people trying to sell us flowers, and it can be a pretty high pressure sale. After negotiating a price, the vendor did not want to give Del his change. He got pretty mad, ripping his bill out of the vendors hand, giving back the flowers and stomping off. It was a pretty big display. When we were climbing all of the stairs to the temple, Del said, "I think I just got mad over 50cents". So small losses in figuring some things out.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like quite an adventure. I laughed aloud at the thought of Del giving the vendor his flowers back. HA! I can totally see that happening. Love the pictures of Draven, the blonde local celebrity, having his picture taken with the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Denis in China. I thought I was going to die that night. The taxi driver followed us into the hotel screaming at us. It took a hotel employee to straighten it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos reminded me of Egypt. The photos of the children reminded me of my students in my classroom. Love those eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.. my comments aren't showing up, I don't see the photos people are commenting on. Am I missing pictures of Draven somehow?? Is this a conspiracy against the technologically challenged? Anyway, Sean loved the photos of the guys with stuff on his head. :) LOVE the temple debacle -- Missing you and loving reading about your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are settling in. Hell, just forget about coming back. I'll rent your place out for ya. Stay awhile (even tho' will miss you all!) LOve to Draven and Drake from Pen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss all you guys and look forward to seeing you in a week!

    ReplyDelete